3.18.2017

Procycling: Milano-San Remo - Close and Splendid!

La Primavera, the Spring Race, Milano-San Remo has starded this morning from Milano, as usually early. And there is an early break including Frapporti, Maestri, Clarke, Skujins, Rovni, Marangoni, Poli, Zurlo, Amezqueta and Denz.
Capi. 63 km to go  for the breakaway has got 2'10''.
45 km to go Alexis Gougeard jumps off the peloton, but he's quickly caught. Umberto Poli and Mattia Frapporti got dropped
Cipressa: in the peloton it's fight for positions
The break is over. Several attacks, and a new front group forms. Tim Wellens goes solo but Mattia Cattaneo jumps on his wheel. The move is neutralised.
Behind Mark Cavendish has been dropped.
Poggio. Sagan's team looks good. Indead Peter Sagan attacks in spite of the very high pace. Kwiatkowski and Alaphilippe follow. Colbrelli leads the chase in the peloton.
Last km. Sagan launches the sprint, Kwiatkowski emerges in the midle, shoulder to shoulder, to the victory, close and splendid! BRAVO!

Michal Kwiatkowski:
"After previous editions in 2013 and 2014 when I've been unlucky, winning Milano-Sanremo is an incredible feeling. I'm thankful to my teammates, they did an incredible job today. I didn't expect Sagan to attack on the Poggio. After he did, I expected a bunch sprint but he maintained a high speed at the front. I focused only on my own sprint. I can't believe I've beaten Sagan!"


Julian Alaphilippe:
“Today, my role was to cover the attacks on the Poggio, because Fernando was our road captain and we were hoping to bring him to the finish in the best possible position. So, when Sagan went, I followed. I went full gas on the Poggio and had hoped to recover a bit on the descent, but we rode really hard also there. 
My legs were empty at the finish and I sprinted against two very strong riders, but I don’t have any regret, despite coming close to winning this beautiful race. I am happy with this top 3 and I hope one day I will be victorious in Milano-Sanremo. I am very grateful to them, they all did a wonderful job. Julien stayed at the front of the peloton for more than 200 kilometers, Philippe covered some of my rivals’ moves, Tom pulled hard before the Poggio, all of them were fantastic and deserve a big thank you. Today you could see again why this team is so great!” 


RESULTS

1 Michal Kwiatkowski (Pol) Team Sky 7:08:39
2 Peter Sagan (Svk) Bora-Hansgrohe
3 Julian Alaphilippe (Fra) Quick-Step Floors
4 Alexander Kristoff (Nor) Katusha-Alpecin 0:00:05
5 Fernando Gaviria (Col) Quick-Step Floors
6 Arnaud Demare (Fra) FDJ
7 John Degenkolb (Ger) Trek-Segafredo
8 Nacer Bouhanni (Fra) Cofidis, Solutions Credits
9 Elia Viviani (Ita) Team Sky
10 Caleb Ewan (Aus) Orica-Scott
11 Magnus Cort Nielsen (Den) Orica-Scott
12 Michael Matthews (Aus) Team Sunweb
13 Sonny Colbrelli (Ita) Bahrain-Merida
14 Daniele Bennati (Ita) Movistar Team
15 Francesco Gavazzi (Ita) Androni Giocattoli
16 Luka Mezgec (Slo) Orica-Scott
17 Ben Swift (GBr) Team UAE Emirates
18 Tim Wellens (Bel) Lotto Soudal
19 Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor) Dimension Data
20 Marco Canola (Ita) Nippo - Vini Fantini

No comments: